Getting Your Own Authority

To make more money as an owner operator you have to get your own authority and find your own freight to haul. This means that you will be handling much more of the business part of trucking. It also means that you cut out the middle man, since you will be going directly to shippers and receiver or using load matching services to find freight. It's more money for more work and responsibility. This is the route you would most likely go if you are planning to buy more than 1 truck and hire drivers.

In essence starting a real trucking company. It also is the route that you must go to make real money in the trucking industry. If you ever hear of truckers consistently getting paid $2 or $3 dollars a mile, this is how they are doing it. Not as an owner operator leased on to a company and not as a lease driver with a trucking company. There are too many people in the chain and conditioned minds for that amount of compensation to exist for the owner operator leased on to a company.

Here are some steps that you would need to take to get your own authority. The entire process to full authorization should be between 4-6 weeks after filing the applications

  • Decide if you will be a sole proprietor or LLC
  • Obtain an EIN from the IRS to do business.
  • download forms or apply online to get your own authority Registration and licensing forms – OP1(MCC#) – BOC-3 and USDOT #

    Step 1: Submit OP1 (or OP1(b) or OP1(ff) You will Receive MCC #

    Step 2: 10 Day waiting period. (get insurance while waiting)

  • Get your truck insurance (Liability and Cargo)
    Step 3: Your insurance will file proof of insurance with FMCSA (MCS - 90 or MCS - 90b)

    Step 4: Process Agent file BOC-3 with FMCSA

    Step 5: You will soon get your operating authority permit

    If you will be hauling hazmat, you will need to go here
> Now it's time for the state requirements
  • Uniform Carrier Registration Fees
  • IFTA for trucks over 26,000 lbs go to your states D.O.T.
  • IRP - Your State D.O.T. (Heavy Vehicle Use tax must be paid)
  • Single State Registration - Contact your state D.O.T.
  • Drug and Alcohol Testing Compliance, Dot Physical
  • Heavy Vehicle Use Tax - paid before getting your IRP (great site for doing it

One day maybe buy more trucks, get more drivers.

The reason you want to get a business address is to use it when applying for EIN and registration for your authority. The information you give for your authority is public information for all to see. If you expand and become know and wealthy, as you know, you also become a target for all types of people. So, this is not necessary but advised, especially if your intention is to grow. You can also set up a LLC

As you may have learned, there are 2 types of 'for hire' operating authorities.

  • Contract authority is when you will haul for specific shippers by contractual agreements.
  • Common authority is when you are available to haul freight for whoever shows you the money.
Both requires $750,000 minimum liability or (Bodily Injury & Property Damage) insurance. Common Carrier authority also needs Cargo insurance unless you only haul low value goods, in which case an exemption will need to be filed.... 49 CFR 387.301(b) call here to get cargo exemption form 202-366-9805

Both common and contract requires Cargo insurance if the freight includes household goods.

I applied for my authority and haven't heard anything
Owner Operator
What is a Lease Operator
Getting your own authority

New! Comments

Have your say about what you just read! Leave me a comment in the box below.

Help with getting authority set up

Getting your authority set up and running properly is something that you can do yourself. It is time consuming and delicate work. You will need to do a lot of reading to make sure that you have dotted your T's and crossed your I's.

If you are someone who won't follow through to the end to get set up and you have the money to spare, there are services that will charge you to help set up your authority and make sure you are in compliance.

If you are going to get your own authority, it is good to be in the loop of what is going on in the trucking industry.

- is a professional organization for owner operators. It offers a lot of industry services and benefits.

ATA is another organization that has many benefits for small trucking operations.

Becoming a Lease Driver