How do I go about becoming a subcontractor

by Chris

I am thinking about leasing a vehicle to become a subcontractor and wanted to know what would be involved in startup, mainly in regards to insurance, licensing and cost?

Any advice would be helpful.

Comments for How do I go about becoming a subcontractor

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Oct 23, 2019
To become a lease contractor
by: Hervy

Well Im not 100 percent sure about the UK Chris but here in the states first it would depend on which company you were going to lease on with.

Because what they offer and do for you varies. They might take care of all the filings and then charge you back. Some companies even pay for some of the expenses themselves.

So find the company that you like to lease to and ask them what you need to do.

Likely (in USA)

IRP (plates) IFTA tax
Heavy Vehicle tax
Bobtail Insurance
Liability Insurance

Have about $6000 handy and $10000 set aside.

If you're going to run on your own authority you will need to get your MCC number and trailer and trailer insurance. (Likely dont need that if leasimg to a carrier.)

You have to get inspections done on equipment and have money for fuel and maintenace.

Also you will have to wait a month or 2 for payment from brokers unless you factor.

You will pay for loadboard access as well.

Sounds like you should be leasing on to a company first. Cuts out a lot of administrative work and you learn more about the business side of trucking before its all on your shoulders.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask a Professional Truck Driver..