Home of Record...?????????

by SteveO
(Roanoke VA)

Moved here (VA) from arizona 6 months ago.
It is temporary, looking for a job, Nothing here for me.
Want to attend a GOOD driving school.
Q: Will i need to change my drivers lic to that state?
Q2: What will I use for my home address in that state if the company provides housing for you and possible get relocated to diff state????????????
Thanks for any help

Comments for Home of Record...?????????

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Mar 02, 2009
SteveO is on the go.
by: Jimmy

The official rules (Fed) say you must have a drivers license in your state of residence. You do not need to acquire a license from the state you attend driving school in.

Sometimes, the whole drivers license issue can become a little murky. Defining where you live is actually where you receive mail. Being a homeowner/renter doesn't make any difference. So if you have a Va license and receive mail there, you're officially a Va resident. If you still have an Az license, you can keep it but need to have an Az mailing address.

You can't have a mailing address in one state, and a license from another. There are tons of drivers that "live" out of their trucks and just use a P.O. Box for an address, or a relatives address. I've seen drivers use the company address as "home" address. Most companies allow this, but check first.

Are you ready to make the plunge? Jimmy

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Ask A Trucker.