Mini Pork Pie
..spring to summer soon..
Hi IN NY hopin fer mild dry roads. Heres a great road food recipe better than fast food ..luv.
This mini Pork Pie Recipe from Angela Boggiano's book Pie is a perfect hand pie, great for picnics, the lunch box and even in the buffet table at parties.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 70 minutes
* 1 bunch scallions/spring onions, finely chopped
* Pinch chili flakes
* 8 oz/225g pork loin, finely chopped with a knife or in a food processor
* 3 ½oz/ 100g pancetta, (or good bacon) finely chopped
* Small bunch chives, snipped
* Small bunch parsely, finely chopped
* Salt and ground black pepper
* 10 oz/ 300g shortcrust pastry ***See note below
* 12 quail's eggs, (or substitute 5-6 regular chicken eggs) soft boiled and peeled
* 1 egg, beaten for glaze
Makes 12 pies
* Heat the oven to 400F/200C/Gas 6
* For the filling mix all the the ingredients except the quail's eggs in a large bowl, seasoning well to taste.
* Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and cut 12 x 4"/9cm rounds to fit a 12-hole muffin tin, and 12 x 3"/7cm rounds for the lids.
* Carefully press the larger rounds into the holes of the muffin tin. Half fill each with the pork filling, top with a soft-boiled quail's egg or 1/2 reg egg then add another layer of filling.
* Brush the edges of each pie with a little egg and then place a lid on top, pressing the edges together to seal.
* Make a hole in the top of each pie, brush the tops with egg to glaze and bake for 20 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 325F/160C/Gas 3 and cook for a further 25-30 minutes until the pastry is golden and the filling is cooked through.
* Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.